Welcome Wing Point Members

This blog is intended to keep the members at Wing Point up to date on the course conditions, the challenges we face with weather, the day to day update on projects, and hopefully add some insight to your overall golf experience. The blog will be updated as much as possible. Information on things that may impact your golf experience such as sanding or aeration will be posted as well. Take time to read one of the polls on the side of the page. The results will help us make decisions on course maintenance practices and give us feedback on what you, the members are thinking.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

I will miss this man I barely knew...and the woman that did so much for me

Gary Peterson was someone I never knew very well. We spoke maybe a dozen times and never played golf together. On January 15th, 2008, Gary sent an email to me. At the time, I had never met him and couldn't tell you who he was if I saw him at the club. That didn't matter, because the email he sent told me everything I needed to know about this man. He thought enough of the job my staff and I did to go out of his way and send an email to someone he had never met to say "Thanks".

2 or 3 months went by before I finally met Gary on the 9th fairway. Someone had pointed him out to me earlier that day when I asked who he was. Every time he saw me, he complimented me and the staff. This man I really never knew has passed far too early. I hope his kindness resonates through the club, because he was exactly what Wing Point is all about. He will be missed.

The following is the email he sent me. I saved it because I've never had someone do this without ever having met me before. It truly is something I cherish to this day.

Hi Mike,

During my rookie year at WP starting last June, I have greatly enjoyed the superb condition of your course. Every time I have a friend over they are very complimentary of the conditions. Simply perfect and year round too!

Thanks to you and your crew on a terrific job.

Cheers,

Gary Peterson 1136

Lori Ogle served as the Green Chairman of the club in 2007/2008. I don't know if many people stopped to realize she was the first female Green Chairman the club had, which is quite an accomplishment. She was amazing in her pursuit of what I needed to get the job done. I remember her calling me every week to ask what our needs were and how we could fight for them. She took the job very serious and in her time we saw the rock wall constructed on #10, the lease package on equipment pushed through the final stages, and of course her totally unpredictable meeting that started the ball rolling on the irrigation project. Most people have no idea that Lori spearheaded the movement of the irrigation upgrade.

We all came to a Green Committee meeting one evening with no real agenda, but Lori took that opportunity to point out our need for an upgrade. I guess she had enough of all my complaining about fixing leaks. The people in attendance can tell you, she was passionate about it! I remember thinking, "Wow, she means business!", as she challenged people at the table to acknowledge we had a big problem on our hands.

That meeting started it all. I wish she were here to see how quickly we were able to accomplish the goal. Much like Gary, she was far too young. Wing Point owes Lori Ogle a great deal. Her passion was infectious and I will always remember all the hard work she did for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment