Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Winter is back...and aeration is postponed
What a change! We had 1.75" of rain over a 24 hour period Sunday/Monday. The course was pretty dry until that. The forecast ahead looks pretty wet, which means we will be postponing the greens aeration until the weather turns around. We were scheduled for Monday, but it may be the following week from what we are looking at. In circumstances like these, we sit back and wait for a 2 day stretch of dry weather to go ahead and aerate. It's crucial that the sand remains dry so it can drag into the holes easily. Wet sand causes bridging in the channels that the aerator produces. This reduces the efficacy of the process which is trying to fully replace the thatch that is removed with the sand applied afterward.